Saturday, November 22, 2008

Ice Cream Jenny

My first Fake Date happened about a month after I moved to Provo. My good buddy Ben (who, at the time, was pretty much my only friend in town) was recently engaged, and I found myself tagging along with him and his fiancee April a lot.

This is the account of my first Fake Date from my journal, 4 September 2007

---

So. I just went on a date.

I just went on a date?

I just went on a date!

BenandApril were going out to ice cream at SubZero and invited me along, but I didn't want to be an an awkward third wheel again, so I resolved to ask a random girl to come along.

As it turns out, most girls travel in packs (I'm not willing to spring for four or five girls to have ice cream); those girls that don't walk around with other girls are usually with a guy.

I went to the parking lot and noticed a girl just getting out of her car.

"Hi!" I said.

"Hi!" she said.

"How are you?" sez me.

"I'm good," sed she.

"What's your name?"

"Kim."

"Hi, Kim; I'm Kyle."

"Hi Kyle."

"So, can I ask you a really weird question without you being put off?"

"Sure."

"You wanna go get ice cream?"

"No. Sorry. My boyfriend's actually meeting me here soon."

"Oh! Well, have fun with your boyfriend!"

"Okay. Bye."

(Not exactly like that because I did explain to her the circumstances.)

I went back to our apartment, charged inside, and shouted to BenandApril, "Give my a Purple Heart! That was fun; I'm gonna try again!"

I stepped outside and--lo and behold!--a girl was walking down from the upper level via the stairwell right in front of me!

"Hi!" I said.

"How are you, Kyle?" she asked.

"Uh. Good. Can I ask you a weird question?"

"Let me guess: 'What's your name?'?"

"Um. No. That's a good one, though. What is your name?"

"Jenny."

"Oh. Alright, Jenny; can I ask you a weird question?"

"Okay."

"You wanna go get some ice cream?"

"Sure!"

"Sweet. My roommate and his fiancee are going, and they invited me along, but I didn't want to be an awkward third wheel."

"Understandable."

So we went, and it was fun.

No comments: